If you follow your heart, life is a work of art

If you follow your heart, life is a work of art.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Catch Up!


I woke up to all of your typical city sounds this morning. It started with a lawn mower, garbage trucks, and some honking. I can't recall ever waking up in a city so while these sounds were familiar, waking up to them wasn't. James was already gone when I woke up which was amazing because I didn't even hear him this morning. Guess I really was beat from yesterday and I slept right through all the morning commotion.

First things first I moved my car closer to the apartment. Now I can see it from the window which just makes me feel better. I also got the Internet password so I could turn on my computer for the first time in a week and finally start uploading pics to facebook and Shutterfly. I figure if I do this in small chunks it won't be so overwhelming at the end of my trip.

I really like the apartment my cousin lives in; it's homey and not a typical college dwelling (in my opinion). But when I went to make lunch I realized it was missing one very important thing...a microwave! What college kid doesn't have a microwave?! So I had to get creative (later I asked James about the microwave and his response was "I have only lived there 4 days and I haven't had to reheat anything yet"...my response was "get on it!")!

I watched a movie in the afternoon and got a text from James to meet up for dinner. He said it would be best to meet there and I thought, sure no problem. Whoa boy. I should have remembered that I suck at directions, I am in an unknown city, and my iphone was charging. So I set off with a semi-charged phone and took the "long" way there. The walk that should have taken me about 10min took me close to 25min. I got the scenic tour of Hyde Park as I told James and Eileen when I got there (which I do just want to point out that I did make it there without James coming to find me). I also got to meet some interesting characters on my way over. When you are talking to someone on the phone it is very rude to be interrupted. So if you were talking on the phone I wouldn't try to flare up a conversation with you. Well, not only did this guy try to start up a conversation while I was clearly on the phone he also decided to walk with me. If I am ignoring you I expect you to take a hint and take a hike. I was just about to tell him how rude he was being when he set off back to where he came from. It took him long enough to give up! Some of the people in this city are really just off their rocker.

Dinner was at a place called Cafe Corea and it was soooo good! I can't say that I have had Korean food before and I am not skilled at using chop sticks but this is an adventure so I took the challenge. The food was AMAZING and I did just fine with the chop sticks if I do say so myself :) It's nice to go to dinner and sit there for hours and talk. I have had two days to get to know Eileen and I really enjoyed her company. I also really enjoyed talking to the two of them about school. It is so refreshing to have a conversation with people who are exceptionally smarter then you are and be able to understand it and ask questions. I have never just sat down with two law students and picked their brain about classes, cases, professors, and careers like I did the last two days. Eileen said that I must have been bored but I was fascinated! I was the one asking all the questions so I was anything but bored.

As we were leaving a woman was outside the door asking for help for dinner. I guess she wanted money but I just handed her the rest of my dinner. She looked at me confused and then asked what is was. I had to laugh to myself because she didn't just take it and run but also because I just gave away Jame's lunch for tomorrow. Whoops! We walked back towards the apartment (the non-scenic route) and said goodnight to Eileen. She gave me a big hug and wished me well on my trip and told me to continue to post my pictures. Again, I really did like her.

Tonight is my last night staying with James. Tomorrow I am spending my day in the city and then coming back only to put my stuff in the car before driving north to see Lizzi. We will be back in the city via train on Saturday to go to the aquarium! I have to admit it will be hard to walk around the city and not go to the aquarium. I am just so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment