If you follow your heart, life is a work of art

If you follow your heart, life is a work of art.

Friday, September 30, 2011

BadLands = BadAss

Another early morning for me! I was up and out by 6:45am and on my way south. Today's agenda was packed; a 5hr drive to the Bad Lands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse (if time allowed), and my first Couch Surfing spot!

The Bad Lands, South Dakota
This drive just sucked. There really is no other way to put it. I was intrigued with North Dakota's landscape but when I got into South Dakota is was all the same again only less cars on the road and more road ahead of me. Once again I felt that "treadmill" feeling again. I wasn't tired, even though I should have been since I didn't fall asleep until close to 2am, I was just bored. This was the first drive where I really felt myself starting to go crazy.

Bad Lands = Bad Ass!
Mt. Rushmore with all the big-wigs ;)
I made it to SD around 9:20am and was so mad that the welcome sign was small and white...I didn't even know what it was until I passed it at 78mph! Be proud SD! Make the sign BIGGER! So that annoyance got me through the rest of my drive to the Bad Lands. I was only about 10 miles away from the Bad Lands when I almost just didn't go. I figured I had seen it yesterday and all I really wanted was out of the car. But I kept going until I finally made it to the park. Thank God I did because it was spectacular! It was 1,000x better then what John and I saw yesterday! I was so amazed! The colors...purple and yellows. It was truly a sight! So I did the 40 mile scenic drive and got lost in time for almost 2 hours!

Then I high tailed it over to Mt. Rushmore which was about an hour and a half away but closer to the place I was staying for the night. I just thought it would be bigger was my first thought. But I paid to park and got out and took a walk (again, just wanting out of the car!). The scenery here was beautiful! I was in the dessert (corn fields) earlier and now it was like I had entered the jungle (mountains), lush and green! Lots of mountains and awesome fall colors :)

I had made good time and figured I would also check out Crazy Horse since it was only about 10 miles down the road. I don't think I will be coming back to South Dakota any time soon so I should check out it's progress now. I went into the park at Crazy Horse and was surprised at how big it was. It put Mt. Rushmore to shame! In fact, all four heads of Mt. Rushmore could fit into Crazy Horse's head alone...this was what I was talking about! BIGGER! I watched a 30min movie about how this whole project started and was purely fascinated by it. To think this was started over 40 years ago and ony the head is done! I don't even think they have a time line for when it should be done...maybe not even in my lifetime! Can you imagine?!
Crazy Horse model against the actual...still alot to be done!
Close up of Crazy Horse (2011)
Ok so my to-do list was done, I was exhaused, and the last thing I wanted to do was get back in my car. But the hardest part of the day was yet to come...it was time to go to my first Couch Surfing destination. I wasn't nervous like I thought I would be and after talking to Michelle on the phone I felt even better. Just a warm, friendly voice that I needed after a long day. I found her house no problem and when I walked in it was like meeting an old friend. We talked about everything from our backgrounds, my trip, the area, and couch surfing. Turns out this is a hopping area and she hosts a lot! She had some awesome stories to tell me. She also didn't know that she was my first stop and we talked about being new in CS and how things generally worked (VERY helpful for me!).

I got the grand tour of my home which was in the basement. I have a bed and my own bathroom! I feel spoiled being here. We talked for about an hour and a half covering a wide variety of topics and I met her niece who lives with her. It is just a comfortable setting and I feel right at home. I'm kind of sad I am only here for one night!

Michelle had to run to the post office so I tagged along for the ride. I also figured I wouldn't want to leave some stranger in my house so why would she. I got to see a bit more of Rapid City, and get a mountain dew so I was a happy camper :) We talked more about CS and it truly is an awesome group of people who are just trying to see the world and meet new people. I think that this is truly going to benefit me and my life in the long run. I have been on the road for about 3 weeks and I already feel like a totally different person.

I view the world differently.
I view myself differently.
I view the people around me differently.

I am in such a good place right now. I am free and willing to do things that I year ago I could have never imagined. I don't really know how to exlain it honestly. I am just happy.

So now, I am going to work on some pictures, continue to spend time with Michelle, take a shower in my private bathroom and get a great night's sleep because tomorrow I continue on to Cody, Wyoming where I meet my second CS family. I hope they are just as wonderful as Michele!

No comments:

Post a Comment