If you follow your heart, life is a work of art

If you follow your heart, life is a work of art.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Whale of a Tail


Boston 
The only goal I had today when I woke up was seeing some whales! I did a whale watching cruise once in Ocean City, MD and we saw nothing! So I figured my chances were increased just by being in New England. The tour left at 10:30 am and there were 170 passengers on this boat. We were guaranteed to see whales (which I really didn't believe). So we set out and it was pretty windy. I was surprised that the water really wasn't as choppy as I imagined with all of the action in the Atlantic this hurricane season.

The sky was blue and the temps were perfect! We weren't even in our spot for 5 minutes before our first whale was spotted...but it was a group of 4!! Right off the bat, a group of 4 Humpback Whales! It was so amazing and I could have gone home happy but once we watched them for a while we kept moving. We found two juvenile whales breaching off in the distance and I was amazed! Just like National Geographic! But better! So we made our way over to them and they continued to breach and fin slap almost like they were putting on a show! It was truly amazing! Total we saw about 10 Humpback Whales today...all I needed was 1!

A bit windy on the boat
The rest of the day we walked the city. We walked through the Boston Commons where we rode on the Swan Boats (in the park since1877) and found the golden ducks from the book 'Make Way for Ducklings'. The Commons were a mini version of Central Park and it was nice to just stroll through and people watch. We also went to the State House (Providence's was better!), walked Beacon Street, walked through the Public Gardens, and walked Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall. I got New England Clam Chowda at Quincy Market and it was amazing! I finally had real, authentic chowda!

On our way towards the car we also walked through an Art Festival that was going on which was a unique way to end the day. It was all local artists displaying and selling their work. Its always nice to see people's artistic side. We also walked along the harbor and enjoyed the water. This city was beautiful and I will have to come back in the future and give Boston the time it deserves. Today was just a preview!

I came into Boston with one goal; go whale watching. But by the time the day had ended I explored an unknown city and did a lot of things that again, weren't on the agenda. Today was truly an Adventure!

Now that's what I came to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment