If you follow your heart, life is a work of art

If you follow your heart, life is a work of art.

Friday, September 16, 2011

The Windy City

Off to the city! I got on my first bus before 8:30am after walking only 3 blocks from my Hyde Park apartment. Luckily James gave me his cta card for the day so I didnt need any cash to ride the bus. I took the #6 bus to The Bean in Millennium Park. I was pretty proud of myself for finding my first stop of the day...gave me a little confidence that I was going to make it through the rest of my day. Then I got on the #151 bus and made my way to the Lincoln Park Zoo. The zoo was beautiful! It was free so I wasn't expecting too much but it was one of the nicest zoos I have ever been to! It took me a good 2.5hrs to walk through the whole thing and I saw Polar Bears, Tufted Puffins, Pygmy Hippos, Dwarf Crocodiles, etc.
After the zoo I decided I wanted to walk to the John Hancock building. I really had no idea that it was 2.5mi away. So by the time I got there I was pretty tired. But I made my way up to the 95th floor and had lunch at the lounge. What a gorgeous view! Lunch was good but not great so I headed out towards Navy Pier. Navy Pier was another 1.5mi away so I walked that too and rode the Ferris wheel. The Ferris wheel was 150ft tall and had an audio playing to talk about the history of the city. I really liked doing that and I thought it was worth the $6.00. When I got off that I realized that the list I had come into the city was complete. But I still had to get pizza. Giordanos pizza was my next stop. I got a little lost getting there so another 2mi went by and when I got there there was a 40min wait for a table. So I figured I would be smart and order it to go. 40min later I walked out with my pizza thinking that I should have just waited for a table.
I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking and ended up going the completely wrong way. I ended up at the base of the old Water Tower where i finally decided to sit down and eat because I wasn't getting any where fast. The pizza was worth the wait...so good! Very different then what I am used to, but it was wonderful. I then hopped on the #146 bus and got off to get back on the #6 bus to get me back to Hyde Park. The bus ride seemed to go by pretty fast and I got back in no time. But I still hadn't heard back from James so I was locked out. I walked to the Law School to find him but just as I got into that area he called saying he was leaving. I was able to meet up with him and walk the 1.5mi back to the apartment with him.

I walked a lot today. I probably walked the Magnificent Mile at least three times during the day on top of all the rest of the walking around the city going from place to place. No wonder why my feet are killing me. Now I am going to chill for a little while before I get back on the road to go see Lizzi. She is just an hour north of the city so luckily it's not a super long drive this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment