If you follow your heart, life is a work of art

If you follow your heart, life is a work of art.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

80 mph

When I woke up in Mesquite, NV I knew it was going to be a long day. I was up and out by 7am and on the road to UT. Mesquite is well known for golf so when I was driving down from Laura's apartment the scenery was beautiful! It was green and well manicured with terracotta buildings built into the hillsides.

I was on one highway for most of the day which was fine with me. But this highway was stunning. I drove through the western corner of Arizona into Utah and the scenery on the drive tops all the scenery I have seen thus far! Every where I looked there was something different to see...mountains, sand dunes, hillsides, vast rock formations that looked almost like an extension of the Grand Canyon. I did stop in a Northern part of Zion National Park to see what was there and it was beautiful. I also got to drive through Fish Lake National Forest which was also stunning...the fall colors are in full swing and we all know how much I love the fall colors! It was the prettiest drive and I think that the drive from Mesquite, NV to Moab, UT should be on every one's bucket list.

The drive was more then 5hrs and then I finally made it to Arches National Park. I actually had to wait in line to get into the park which I thought was odd for a weekday. The woman at the desk said it was a state holiday and the kids had no school. So I started the drive up to the arches. But no one told me that you had to hike a mile or more to each arch! There were almost 10 arches! Oh boy...where is Lisa when I need her?! So I did a few hikes until I lost interest and got tired of running into all the groups of kids who were screaming and throwing sand.

I was thoroughly annoyed with the parents that didn't stop their kids from throwing sand or throwing footballs at the people that walked past them. RUDE. The arches that I made it to (Delicate and Broken) were beautiful and worth the hike. I just needed a buddy to keep me going. I would love to go back with someone who LOVES to hike (Lisa) and do all the hikes, maybe even camp (yup, I said that).
Broken Arch
I was at the park for more then 4hrs before I gave up for the day and headed to Sam's where I was couch surfing. He told me where the house key was so I assumed he wouldn't be home. This to me was odd...he trusts me to go into his home when he isn't even home? He doesn't know me! Luckily, when I got there he was home and I got to meet him and chat for a bit. He left about 45min after I had been there to go see a recycling movie. He left me home, in his home, alone...does anyone else find this odd?! He was gone for 2.5hrs! Just me...for 2.5hrs...in his house?!? Maybe I have trust issues but really who does that?!

Sam was a Project Runway fan so right away we had a good topic for conversation. He has lived in Moab for 8yrs and he originates from Wyoming. Very nice guy but I really didn't get to spend much time with him because when he did come home he went straight to bed. He said to take my time in the morning because he would be at work and to lock up before I left. I had the whole basement to myself with 2 full beds, a bathroom, living room, and an exercise room so it was almost like staying in a hotel.

Overall, Arches was beautiful but it deserves more time and I deserve no kids. Sam was nice and now I have a place to stay if I ever come back to explore some more (and maybe spend some actual time with him). I am super excited to head to CO tomorrow! It better be COLD!!
Delicate Arch

No comments:

Post a Comment