If you follow your heart, life is a work of art

If you follow your heart, life is a work of art.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Paddle Out!

Last night was the first night in a long time that I actually woke up feeling like I got a good nights rest. The bed was rock hard but I didin't even care. It was nice to not have roomates too. Terry had laid out breakfast for us when we got up and then Cindy and I were off on our next adventure.

Cindy and I had a kayak adventure today in La Jolla. I knew that the water would be cold but I had no idea that we would only be wearing 3.2mil wetsuits! That is what we wear in FL! How are we going to stay warm in 64* water!? The guy originally gave me a wetsuit that was way to big for me so I fixed that knowing a tighter wetsuit would keep me warmer. From the Kayak rental place we were able to walk with our group right to the beach and get in. The ride was hard on the way out because we were fighting the waves and the wind. Once we made our way out we headed to the seven caves of La Jolla. All of them had a name and a story so we stopped at each one (good break!). When we made it to the Clam Shell Cave we got to jump out of our kayaks and snorekl a bit.

We just anchored all our boats together and jumped in. I was just worried about climbing back into the kayak when it was time to go! The water was SO COLD! I was quick to put my face in and get that over with! When I looked down teh water was all murky and dark. Then I saw a bright pop or orange...it was the Garibaldi, the CA state fish. So pretty and easy to spot along the rocky bottom. The waves seemed to pick up but we swam our way around to the other side of where we anchored and swam into the Clam Shell Cave. Once inside the waves would pick you up and push you to the shore so you had to make sure you were in the right area. All of a sudden a HUGE wave came in and all I could hear was the guides yelling " Get OUT!" So I started to swim as hard as I could. When I looked up I could almost touch the ceiling of the cave and the walls seemed to be closing in. I looked to my right and I was just a few inches from hitting my head on the rocks.

When everyone got out the guides looked a little worried. I don't thin they saw that wave coming and it could have turned into a problem. After that everyone was exhausted. I think we all used all our energy to get out as fast as we could! When we got back to the kayaks getting out wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be. I jumped in, clipped all my gear back on and was off away from the caves. We continued along the coast and saw a Harbor Seal and a Sea Lion. Then went offshore again to the kelp forest. I always find the kelp forests to be so amazing.

Now the easy part, paddling back to shore. The wind was supposed to be in our favor this time but it seemed to die off when we needed it. The paddle back was the worst. It was long and hard and I think everyone was feeling exhausted. I hung out in the back and took my time. We coasted right up onto the beach and just like that it was over. My cold Pacific kayak/snorkel was over :(

It was a great trip! I just wish that they had warned people that it was a hard trip. There was a mother with two younger kids in a 3-person kayak and I just knew she was hating her life on this trip. We also had a girl get sick because the swimming was really hard and she took in too much sea water. Cindy even got a little winded after the cave swim. Other then that the trip was awesome and I am SO glad we got to do it!
When we got back it was time to shower and relax. Cindy originally wanted to go back out and do something else in the city but I looked at her like she was crazy and said no. I am exhausted, I have a long drive tomorrow and after a day on the water all I wanted was a nap. Which is exactly what I got when we got home. And it was luxurious.

The boys got back around 6pm from their adventures today and we are going out to a piano bar with Terry. She sings there so we are going to dinner and then going to watch her performance as a group. I am looking forward to a night out as a big group and I am really looking forward to hearing Terry sing!

{( Terry has a beautiful voice! We had dinner at Cicciotti's where I got to meet the voice of Betty Rubble from the Flinstones cartoons and listen to Daniel Hendrick sing (he is a famous opera singer). After dinner Terry took us to the 12th floor of the 5th Ave Business complex to Mr. A's to see the city lights and watch the jets come into the airport. It was a very cool view of the city and worth staying up a little later for! })

No comments:

Post a Comment