If you follow your heart, life is a work of art

If you follow your heart, life is a work of art.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Heart of Texas

My goal was to leave when Michele left for work. Funny how that didn't happen. I didn't get out of bed until almost 9am when I looked at my phone and jumped out of bed. I was up when Michele left and I told her I was going to take my time but I didn't really mean to fall back asleep.

I had a 4.5hr drive ahead of me and an entire list of things to see and do in San Antonio. I actually got to San Antonio right around 2pm and decided that I wanted to see the Alamo first. I drove over to it and when I went to park realized that parking was any where from $10-$15. I don't think so. I just wanted to take a few pictures and they weren't worth that. So I did about 4 drive-bys taking pictures out the windows.

Then I found Denny's. They had 2hr parking for customers so I went and got ice cream. The waitress was really nice and she told me I could walk to the 'Tower of the Americas' 2 blocks over and I set off to do that. I am so glad I did that too because the view was awesome, I could see the Alamo from up top (different angle), and I got to do a 4D movie. That was worth what I would have paid just to park at the Alamo.

When I was done there I went and called Darren to see if they were ready for me and got on the road over to their house. I have never showed up so early to a couch surfing spot so this was new. I got there and they asked me all about my trip and we did the usual "get to know you" conversations. Then they said they wanted to take me downtown.

YAY! People to explore with me! We went to the Marketplace where there were vendors with Day of the Dead booths, walked around a flea market of sorts, I learned about Tripas Tacos (you don't want to know!), and we had dinner at Mi Tierra. After dinner we walked along the river walk which was beautiful and full of life this time of night and we walked over past the Friendship Torch (given to the US from Mexico) towards the Alamo. I had no idea where we were walking too but then I saw the Alamo. I had told Darren and Jessica about my "drive-by" and they decided to take me back. But what was amazing was that there was nobody there and I got a clear shot.

The Alamo actually has a lot of character and the lights on it really made all of the unique architecture pop. It was amazing to see it this way compared to what I had seen earlier that really wasn't very impressive at all.

Another busy day and I am exhausted. SeaWorld tomorrow!
Tower of the Americas
The Alamo
Friendship Torch

No comments:

Post a Comment